Honors College Carlos and Malu Alvarez Special Opportunities Fund Scholarship
Stipends and travel grants from the Carlos and Malu Alvarez Special Opportunities Fund will permit students to participate fully in career-building regional and national. International conferences, workshops, and competitions as presenters and/or participants in their academic fields will help offset the travel and living expenses of students who need financial assistance to take advantage of enriching internship programs in their academic fields in other cities and states. Criteria and the selection process will be developed and/or approved by the Coordinating committee.
The student must be registered at UTSA as an undergraduate student both at the time of application and in the term in which he or she will participate in the special opportunity.
- At the time of application, the student must have completed at least 12 hours at UTSA.
- The applicant must have a minimum UTSA GPA of 2.5.
- The applicant must have satisfied their honors event requirement.
- Honors College
- Supplemental Questions
- Please Download this *Budget Worksheet*, fill out completely and then upload the Budget Worksheet.
- Copy of the abstract submitted to a professional conference (if applicable).
- A letter of recommendation from a UTSA faculty member. NOTE: The letter must come from a faculty member and not a UTSA staff person. Please advise faculty members writing these letters that they must be individualized. Form letters for multiple students applying for the same special opportunity will not be considered. The letter should describe the student's academic qualifications and the potential impact of the experience on the student.
- A typed, double-spaced essay of at least 250 word, which explains how this experience will enhance the student's educational experience.
- For what special experience are you requesting funding (e.g., conference travel, Archer Fellowship, unpaid internship)? Please be specific as possible about the nature of the experience. For requests to fund travel to present a paper at a professional conference, include the name, dates, and location of the conference, the title of your paper, and the name of the faculty member with whom you completed the research you will present. For requests to fund internship opportunities, provide the location of the internship and as much information about the organization as possible.
- If you are presenting at a professional conference, has your paper been accepted for presentation yet?
- If you answered no to presenting, when do you expect to hear if you have been accepted for presentation? (MM/DD/YY)
- What other sources of funding are available to you to support this experience? If your special opportunity will cost more than the maximum amount of the grant (i.e. $750), you MUST indicate below how you plan to fund the remainder of the costs
- Please list the expenses associated with this opportunity. Be sure to explain each expense. Allowable expenses include airfare, ground travel, hotel accommodations (including hotel taxes), per diem, living expenses, conference fees, etc.
- Does this experience comply with UTSA public health guidelines regarding COVID-19?
- Show 5 more