Boren Scholarship (undergraduate)
This scholarship is listed by UTSA’s Office of Nationally Competitive Awards, which supports current UTSA students on the undergraduate and graduate levels to apply to opportunities outside of UTSA. Students are encouraged to work with the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards and Fellowships as early as possible to discuss the application process. While some applications are short, drafting application materials for major awards may take months of preparation, and application materials should reflect this high level of preparation. Please note that we do not advise students on other scholarship opportunities listed on the scholarship hub outside of the “External” section.
The Boren Scholarship is an initiative of the National Security Education Program that funds U.S. undergraduate students seeking to study less commonly taught languages underrepresented in study abroad. Students in Cyber Security programs and STEM programs are especially encouraged to apply. Applicants are encouraged to look at Flagship Initiatives in African, Indonesian, South Asian, and Turkish languages.
Award: $8000 for a summer program (STEM); $10,000 for a semester (STEM); $20,000 for a 6-12 month period
- Students interested in working with Federal National Security
- Commit to working in the federal government for a minimum of 1 year after graduation
- U.S. Citizen
- Priority for applicants seeking a minimum of 6 months overseas
- Summer Program must be a minimum of 8 weeks and limited to science, technology, engineering and mathematics students
- Enrolling in an overseas program in a country outside of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand
- Enrolled in an undergraduate program in a U.S. college or university
Deadline: End of January
If you plan to apply to this specific program and would like application support, please contact Andrew Chapman of the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards by filling out the following intake form. Please do not submit this intake form to inquire about other awards listed in the Scholarship Hub.